Commenting.


COMMENTING
Due to the move of the blog to Wordpress posts from Jan 2012 onward will have commenting disabled (when I remember to do it)
Cheers - AE

Sunday 21 June 2009

Freedom of association, bye-bye.

What the hell does it mean "outlaw criminal bikie gangs"? If they're criminal then by definition there's already something you can arrest them for. If you're having to pass laws to make a gang illegal for no reason other than just being, without even knowing if they've committed an actual crime, then there's a fucking problem. You've just made criminals of people because of the fear of what they might do, that's all. Some may say that they're just bikies, that plenty of them are involved in actual criminal activity, that they're anti social and intimidating and that, well, tough on the bikies.

No. That's not an excuse for chucking liberties down the nearest sewer. If someone commits a crime gather the evidence, charge them, and as long as you can convince a jury, imprison them. Do not simply make a criminal of someone because you think that they should be.
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not protest;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.
They have now come for the bikies. How long do the rest of us have?
Related Posts with Thumbnails