Commenting.


COMMENTING
Due to the move of the blog to Wordpress posts from Jan 2012 onward will have commenting disabled (when I remember to do it)
Cheers - AE

Thursday 31 December 2009

Things I still don't get about Australia - No. 15

Been a while since I've done one of these, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that at the arse end of 2009 I've got this weird country all worked out at last.

Oven gloves. Regular, ordinary oven gloves. The ones that are basically like a big pocket on the end of about a yard of thick, padded material with another pocket at the other end, maybe with thumbs if it's an upmarket version. Why are they an endangered species here and why do Australian stores sell 'oven gloves' that consist of one single padded mitten and what looks like a matching small flannel made of the same stuff? I can see why something like it might sell in Birmingham where there's a vast amount of good curry available and there's the ever present risk of burning the flesh from your bones after a good jalfrezi - you need something to protect your hand when you wipe your arse after all. But properly fiery Indian food is as hard to find here as... well, as proper oven gloves that hang over the oven door or on the rail for dishcloths.

Maybe I'll figure it out in the next year, but more likely it'll take me the whole bloody decade.

Now I'm off outside to watch the fireworks. Happy New Year, and may 2010 be one that is a little bit, or preferably quite a lot freer for us all.

2 comments:

JuliaM said...

It's Australia! You're supposed to use your bare hand, not some poncy oven glove! They just sell them for Limeys... ;)

Have a great New Year (unless you've already had it by now - I can never work out time zones)!

Angry Exile said...

Limeys???? Wash your mouth out girl. We're Poms of course, which despite all legends and evidence to the contrary I insist stands for 'Proud Of My Sunburn'.

And yes, 2010 was nearly three and a half hours old when you posted, but thanks all the same. Same to you for this evening.

Related Posts with Thumbnails