Commenting.


COMMENTING
Due to the move of the blog to Wordpress posts from Jan 2012 onward will have commenting disabled (when I remember to do it)
Cheers - AE

Saturday 5 June 2010

Things I still don't get about Australia - No. 25

Because of being a bit busy lately and a touch of blogging fatigue I'm afraid that the milestone of Post No. 1000 is another one of these. And currently the thing I'm still not getting about Australia is the Eurovision Song Contest. Yes, really the Eurovision Song Contest.


This afternoon SBS devoted two and a half hours to it, though I'm sure it felt like much longer, and they do this every year. Okay, granted this is SBS and the fact that it followed news in Russian and Turkish tells you that it's a channel which likes to be pretty international, but for Christ's sakes it's the Eurovision. Being thousands of miles away from what should have long ago been renamed the Eurovision Mong Contest ought to be one of the bonuses of living in Oz. Oh well, at least in this AFL mad land I can avoid the bloody soccer World Cup fever, can't I?
MELBOURNE soccer fans will be able to watch World Cup matches at Birrarung Marr after traditional screenings at Federation Square were cancelled due to public safety concerns.

...

Minister for Sport and Recreation James Merlino said fans can converge on the nearby outdoor site to watch the Socceroos take on the world next month.
Oh for fuck's sake.

4 comments:

Chuckles said...

Pining for the fjords.

All the talk about 'going home'.

Do we notice a pattern here?

Angry Exile said...

Nope. Just resting after a particularly loud squawk.

Who's talking about going home? I've heard a few expats took advantage of the pound collapsing to go back but I think they'd mostly have been people who never really learned to think of Oz as home anyway. Good luck to 'em, but I can't see me joining them anytime soon before I become an ex-parrot.

Chuckles said...

Yup, wasn't referring to you personally, just the universal ye. To be fair, 'home' is more of a NZ theme, but I've met a fair number of OZ types who never referred to the UK as anything but 'home', despite their families having been there for generations.

Anonymous said...

do what Oz does. ignore sbs

Related Posts with Thumbnails