Commenting.


COMMENTING
Due to the move of the blog to Wordpress posts from Jan 2012 onward will have commenting disabled (when I remember to do it)
Cheers - AE

Sunday 21 February 2010

Things I still don't get about Australia - No. 19

I found an old UK extension lead this morning and it lead me to thinking: why are Australian plugs and sockets so crap? I'm not particularly into some sort of British is best thing - I'd probably still be there if I was - but UK plugs are nice substantial things that have their own fuses and pins like miniature Stonehenge monoliths, while the Aussie version is fuseless and has nearly flat blade like pins that with a bit of effort can be bent with just your fingers. I've lost count of the number of times I've jerked the lead for the hoover out of the wall socket because there's just not enough there to keep the damn thing in. And although I can see the sense I still find it odd having two types of plugs, either with an earth pin or without.

And on the subject of plugs, I don't get why sinks here don't have the plug hanging on a little chain or anywhere to hang it from if it did. No overflow pipe either. I wonder if there are more kitchen flooding incidents here as a result.

4 comments:

BTS said...

I sincerely hope that you've been drinking..

On second thoughts, I sincerely hope that one of has been drinking..

Well, at least one of us at any rate..

w/v: meomer - a bit like a polymer, but made of cats.

microdave said...

Yes, there are pretty crap, aren't they! I've got a couple of them, and an adaptor I acquired during my travels back in the 80's

But if I recall correctly, just across the water in New Zealand they use UK style plugs...

Chuckles said...

AE,

Surely it's obvious?

They were designed by an Australian.

Anonymous said...

Can't you get your own chain for the sink plug?

Related Posts with Thumbnails