Commenting.


COMMENTING
Due to the move of the blog to Wordpress posts from Jan 2012 onward will have commenting disabled (when I remember to do it)
Cheers - AE

Thursday 16 June 2011

Fighting back

It's looking increasingly likely that the ridiculous plain tobacco packaging plan is going to happen in Australia - coming to a country near YOU soon - but it's also having a positive effect in that people and businesses are at last starting to push back and tell the government to leave reasoning, responsible adults alone to make their own decisions. The latest effort, part of a campaign called simply Stop This Nanny State is rather good and I thought both my readers (hello Mum) might like to see it.



As with ideservetobeheard.com.au it's a simple website with the ads (which is where I half-inched them having seen them a few times on TV the last few days), some info, and a form to fill in which fires off a letter to your federal MP:
Dear [Local MP Name]

I'm an adult and I say NO to Plain Packaging Legislation

While many rules are necessary in a modern functioning society, there's a limit. The proposed Plain Packaging Legislation is quite simply regulation gone too far.

As an adult, I can make my own decisions.

I strongly urge you not to make Australia a Nanny State and ask that you represent my views to parliament.

Thank you

[First Name] [Last Name}
Needless to say I've already filled it in and I encourage my Australian reader to do likewise. And if you don't smoke watch that first one again, paying particular attention from 0:11 onwards. Don't go thinking that this is good for the majority, those of us who don't smoke, because the things that we do like to do are on the hit list too. They're already talking about health warnings on alcohol so it's no exaggeration to bring that up in the ad, and even my fellow non-smokers and/or non-drinkers should by now realise that the food we eat is next - we were reminded of that only the other day.

It's a simple choice, folks. We can choose to be free or we can submit to those who are so concerned for our physical welfare that they feel we must be prevented from doing anything they disapprove of. As C.S. Lewis said, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. And the nannies are so very, very concerned for the good of their victims.

Related Posts with Thumbnails