Commenting.


COMMENTING
Due to the move of the blog to Wordpress posts from Jan 2012 onward will have commenting disabled (when I remember to do it)
Cheers - AE

Friday 13 March 2009

Prince William.

I've done a bit of Royal bashing this week partly because I'm by nature a small r republican, by which I mean I think monarchies are outdated but while it costs little or nothing it's not a huge priority, and partly because Prince Charles gets on my tits. However, there are times when I do feel getting off the soapbox and giving some credit where it's due. This is one of them:
[Prince William] said that for him "Mummy" had become "just a word – hollow and evoking only memories".
"Losing a close family member is one of the hardest experiences that anyone can ever endure," he said.
He said: "My mother Diana was present at your launch 15 years ago, and today I am incredibly proud to be able to continue her support for your fantastic charity, by becoming your royal patron.
"Never being able to say the word 'Mummy' again in your life sounds like a small thing.
"However, for many, including me, it's now really just a word – hollow and evoking only memories."
The speech came as the charity launched its 'Remember on Mother's Day' campaign at an event in London.
The campaign aims to raise awareness of the problems faced by mothers bereaved of a child or children bereaved of their mother.
Phillip Larkin said they fuck you up, your mum and dad. Well, yeah, kind of. For most of your teens they're stupid, and one day they suddenly become intelligent again and stay that way through most of twenties before suddenly getting daft again and making you worry about them. They fuck you up almost as much as we fuck them up, but when you look back on all the years you realise that it didn't matter very much compared to the love and laughs you're having along the way. Prince William and his brother had their mother around for the early part of their lives but were still at a young age when she died, but I feel that the best time to know your parents is when you're an adult yourself. Children and teens don't understand adults and vice versa, but when you're both adults talking on the same kind of level there's something new about the relationship - you can be friends as well. I'll always hold a son's love for my parents but I've got their friendship too, and that feels like backing the winning horse and then finding that your each way bet on the long odds runner up paid just as well. As well as the more obvious loss the Princes will never know that relationship with their mother, and it makes me feel particularly sorry for them when Prince William speaks of what Mother's Day is like for him.

Not sure what Telegraph's video of him talking about Centrepoint has to do with the article though.
Related Posts with Thumbnails