Commenting.


COMMENTING
Due to the move of the blog to Wordpress posts from Jan 2012 onward will have commenting disabled (when I remember to do it)
Cheers - AE

Thursday 4 March 2010

Honorary doctorate for Al Gore.

Seriously?*
“Vice President Gore’s career has been marked by visionary leadership, and his work has quite literally changed our planet for the better,” said UT Knoxville Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek.
The G presumably stands for 'gottafucking'. Come on, Jimmy. Gore's work has done exactly what? Don't just fucking sit there and assert that it's quite literally changed the planet in any noticeable way, let alone for the better. Give us some fucking specifics or shut the fuck up.
Gore will receive the degree — an Honorary Doctor of Laws and Humane Letters in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology — at the spring commencement exercises of the College of Arts and Sciences on May 14.
I understand what Ecology and Evolutionary Biology mean, though I won't get into how they might apply to Al Gore, but 'Laws and humane letters'? What the fuck is that? Well, curiosity piqued I decided to check the first, albeit not the most reliable, source I could think of to find out what a doctorate or laws and humane lettuce might refer to. And I laughed and laughed and laughed (my emphasis):
The degree of Doctor of Humane Letters (Latin: Litterarum humanarum doctor; D.H.L.; or L.H.D.) is always conferred as an honorary degree, usually to those who have distinguished themselves in areas other than science
I don't even care enough to check if there's a more reliable definition elsewhere. I got my giggles and that's good enough for me. 'Areas other than science' - how fucking appropriate. A doctorate for the guy who hangs around with doctors who've been accused of doctoring the data? Okay, fuck it, why not. You're being open about it being for something that is not actually scientific so knock yourselves out. But I suggest also making him an honorary doctor of gynaecology, because he really ought to be feeling a bit of a cunt by now.

* Via WUWT, who's noted that 95% of people responding to a poll in a Knoxville paper think Gore should not get honoured with a degree and a floppy hat from UT Knoxville. That's presumably Knoxville in Tennessee. Which is Gore's home state.
Related Posts with Thumbnails