Commenting.


COMMENTING
Due to the move of the blog to Wordpress posts from Jan 2012 onward will have commenting disabled (when I remember to do it)
Cheers - AE

Saturday 10 September 2011

What did I say?

In the post a few hours back (actually written Friday evening) I mentioned that we in the west seem to get hung up on dates and anniversaries of major events, and if those events are a disaster inflicted deliberately we think that the enemy responsible is likely to do it again on the same date. Quite why he'd want to do that rather than pick another day at random or simply go when he's ready is rarely addressed, and I can't help feeling that it might be a western thing anyway. Remember the Alamo! Pearl Harbour! 9/11! So I'm not surprised to read this:
The US has warned of a "specific, credible threat" ahead of the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, possibly in New York or Washington DC.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the threat was "uncorroborated", but security would be boosted at bridges, tunnels and on public transport.
That the 9/11 hijackers chose September 11th rather than February 26th, the anniversary of the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, is something else that doesn't get mentioned much. In fact the only case I can think of offhand in which an anniversary figured was the Oklahoma City bombing carried out by Timothy McVeigh, who chose the second anniversary of Waco to carry out his attack. And since McVeigh wasn't responsible for Waco but as he saw it was attacking in response to Waco I'm not sure that really counts. If September 11th marked some date in which the US or the west had done something specific to piss off Alky-Aida then perhaps there'd be a reason for them to mark that down in their calendars as getting-killed-for-the-cause day, but otherwise...

I dunno, maybe there really is a genuine cause for concern, but it seems to me that Alky-Aida could just as easily make a few noises about the tenth anniversary as a shit stir and then go back to milking the goat. Or it could just as easily be confirmation bias and we're twitching at shadows because we've half convinced ourselves that the people who attacked ten years ago attach some special significance to that date. I'll eat my words if anything does happen - and I mean more than some wide-eyed teenager with a milk bottle full of petrol damaging a police station or something - but I reckon any particular day is no less likely than any other. And no more likely either.
Related Posts with Thumbnails